Cybersecurity experts are calling Petya one of the most devastating digital invasions of its type in regards to network security. Just months after the world was hit with a similar ransomware attack, WannaCry, Petya has inflicted severe pain on thousands of users, crippling banks and infrastructure. Cybersecurity experts say these attacks are becoming more common, and the threats are developing in sophistication even though, complex, labour and time intensive network security has been put in place to protect many organisations.
These Issues Lead To:
- Difficulty with breach detection and identifying threats
- The increasing cost of threat detection and management
- Inadequacy in response to constant attacks
- Increased risk of compromise
- Low-valued operations assigned to skilled employees
- Reduction in business production resulting in lost revenue and outages
- Clean-up cost or breach disclosure, data loss and reputation damage
Reducing Network Security Risks
Tools such as Firemon’s Risk Analyzer can be used by your IT service provider to prioritise risk remediation efforts and identify vulnerabilities using scores and data from network security configurations.
The impact of attacks such as Petya and WannaCry can be decreased if an organisation is proactive about their network security practices. Although these kinds of cyber-attacks are inevitable, the impact they have do not have to be shattering. The use of tools such as Immediate Insight will be helpful for tracing threats, and Risk Analyzer can be used for risk assessment and to find network path vulnerabilities.
A dedicated team of professionals using state-of-the-art tools and equipment is vital for network security preparations for the next time a cyber-attack occurs.